However, as individuals with Mental Health concerns, we can have power over our bodies and there are many things that lead to health and healing. With a Whole Person Approach, including the help of good practitioners, doctors, therapists, spiritual communities, families, friends, advocates, and supporters, healing is possible. We can stop the suffering and harness the power to overcome. Because of personal experiences with mental health issues & illnesses, La Via Sana formed to help individuals and their families find HOPE and RECOVERY. We know it is not a complete answer, but we suggest starting with the things we can see as a point of entry into other issues. If we can deal with the underlying causes in the biological body, maybe we will also gain wisdom into the issues that are of a spiritual, emotional, intellectual nature as well. We love the SERENITY PRAYER because it teaches us to ask God for courage to change what we can change, Serenity to accept the things we cannot change and all the things we do not control, and wisdom to know the difference. This is so important. We need to take time to know our own bodies, our own distress, and to embrace wellness and wholeness, with God's help. Of course, we are complex individuals but we can begin the process of healing one step at a time.... With God's guidance, we can try to harness control and change lifestyle habits to improve health.... to embrace wellness.
AREAS that need to be addressed:
- Sleep Hygiene - the pattern of behavior surrounding bedtime, the rituals and habits that can enhance the circadian rhythm and create balance, dream quality, and physical restoration.
- Nutrition - the pattern of behavior surrounding mealtime, including rituals and habits that can lead to healthy choices, including food education, mindfulness, and gratitude. Nutrition also involves access to whole, real, unprocessed food items.
- Movement - the involvement in exercise of any kind that can improve breathing, mobility, and energy levels.
- Relaxation - activities that allow the brain to have a break, and allows the body to let go of stress, this may be Creative Activities like Music, Painting, Journaling, or may be Gardening.
- Medication Management - tips and techniques that can make a big difference, information that is crucial to know, and resources.
We know that our lives are dynamic intersections of many different components. You cannot just isolate one thing sometimes because it is all connected. But beginning somewhere and making small steps in the direction of wellness can greatly improve your overall health. Many things can be done. If you are the person with the mental health issue, know that there is HOPE, there is RECOVERY, and there is Wellness... Its a daily choice and it is a gift we receive with an open heart.
Nobody really knows why these mental health issues occur, perhaps it is because we are so good at ignoring what needs to be taken care of. We want to rush around and make money, but there are more important things. We have a lot of friends, but feel disconnected. With God, there is so much room for growth, and empowerment...and He leads the way through this life and keeps us safe and secure in his Grace.