The SERENITY PRAYER asks God for courage to change what we can change, Serenity to accept the things we cannot change and all the things we do not control, and wisdom to know the difference.
Specific AREAS that need to be addressed:
- Sleep Hygiene - the pattern of behavior surrounding bedtime, the rituals and habits that can enhance the circadian rhythm and create balance, dream quality, and physical restoration. Is there a disorder? Does the individual need a sleep study? What kinds of routines could enhance natural rhythms?
- Nutrition - the pattern of behavior surrounding mealtime, including rituals and habits that can lead to healthy choices, including food education, mindfulness, and gratitude. Nutrition also involves access to whole, real, unprocessed food items. Are there food allergies? Is there malnutrition? Does the person have enough income for a healthy lifestyle and if not, are there resources in the community that could help?
- Community Community Events- Outreach - Austin Healing Circle
- Movement - the involvement in exercise of any kind that can improve breathing, mobility, and energy levels.
- Relaxation & Recreation- activities that allow the brain to have a break, and allows the body to let go of stress.
- Medication Management - tips and techniques that can make a big difference, information that is crucial to know, and resources. The right to take and the right to ask questions, the right to request less medication and alternatives- and things that can help make this a safe process for the individual.
- Spiritual Discipline - finding congruency, direction, and community as a personal journey of faith.
First Steps. We know that our lives are dynamic intersections of many different components. You cannot just isolate one thing sometimes because it is all connected. We recommend starting a RECOVERY JOURNAL- where the individual can begin to collect the information about themselves that will help them overcome. Just deciding to begin the journey somewhere and making small steps in the direction of wellness can greatly improve your overall health.
There is HOPE for RECOVERY & Wellness... Its a daily choice and it is a gift we can receive for ourselves with an open heart.
With God, there is so much room for growth, and empowerment... as He leads the way through our distress...
the journey begins with honesty, believing that the truth will set us free (John 8:31-32)